Saturday, February 23, 2019

Who is the wild animal?

There are 4 dogs in my house.
2 big ones and 2 little ones.
They get along just fine and besides being dogs and doing dog things they also have the heritage of being descended from wolves.
What a noble heritage it is!
Also, what a scary heritage it is.
Somewhere deep in their DNA they have the desire to run free, the need to chase things and the ability to bite my face off.
Thank goodness they like a good back scratch and occasional treat more than listening to their mostly buried instincts.
But the point is, and I seem to always take the distracted way of getting to that point, is that they have super sensitive hair and if they don't see me and I touch them to give them a pet, they jump.
I don't intentionally mean to startle them, but it does amuse me.

Because I am a doofus and not a dog.

Their sensitive reaction puzzles me too because I have NEVER ever hit my dogs.
They get verbally scolded and/or squirted with water when there is a 4 dog ear splitting bark frenzy in the middle of a phone conversation, but hitting a dog was, is and never will be considered.
Like I have mentioned in past posts, dogs are a gift and we really don't deserve them.
But it always tickles me that they are startled by humans.
We make them nervous?
Uummm...remember the wolf relatives?
I don't recall reading about any humans that chased wolves for fun or bit wolves or hid behind trees to scare them.
Humans are scary though.


Baxter the Boxer

This morning when I bent down to pet Baxter the Boxer as he relaxed after breakfast, his whole body jumped in surprise when I reached over the chair to pet him.
He is 90 pounds of pure muscle and pointy teeth but my elderly, hippie, pajama clad self surprised him so suddenly that I felt bad and had to apologize pet him.
Then I giggled quietly like the silly human I am.
I mentioned earlier that it amuses me but then I feel guilty.
I forget that sometimes dogs sleep or daydream and are occasionally NOT in tune to every smell, rumble, noise, footstep and squirrel chitter from 50 feet away and that I should BACK OFF and keep my hands to myself!
Such a daft human.
The dogs though, still act like I am the dominant animal of their group.
That assumption on their part however is completely flawed.
The ONLY thing I can dominate is cookies fresh out of the oven.
Dogs are the ones that should be on pedestals.

My humblest apologies to the canine community for my need to touch you and love on you and snuggle you.
You are all F A B U L O U S !!!!!
Humans, not so much.
We homos sapiens are the wild animals.
We are the species that needs to be domesticated and work at becoming enthusiastic examples of unconditional love.

Thank you dogs for your presence in the world!

Thank you for being here.


One of these things is not like the others.

2 comments:

  1. Very wise and thoughtful post about our beloved canines. Perhaps we should be more grateful to wolves for offering up their genetics to be transformed into the friends we have today!

    ReplyDelete

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?....